[AG-TECH] Multicast beacon questions

John A. Greenfield green at ahpcc.unm.edu
Wed Oct 24 13:34:05 CDT 2001

I have was assuming it was my sagnvideo.ahpcc.unm.edu beacon code getting
confused. I rebooted, do you still see this now? If it is not fixed, it
could be a bizarre mcast config problem too.

John

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, Marty Hoag wrote:

>    Others have mentioned "beacons gone bananas" before but I've never
> been able to observe it by checking the mroute counts on our router.
> I did that just now (show ip mroute 233.2.171.1 count) and noticed:
>
>   Source: 129.24.244.135/32, Forwarding: 184666232/351/21/255, Other:
> 184668340/2106/2
>
> which comes back to sagnvideo.ahpcc.unm.edu .
>
> In the past I've heard some es-net folks attribute this behavior to one
> of the Australian beacons too but this was the only one I saw like that
> today.  Most of the rest were 9 or 10 packets/second as expected (our
> local one was higher too but only on the local router so I suspect that
> is other stuff going on there).  I checked at the Abilene Indianapolis
> router (IPLS on http://loadrunner.uits.iu.edu/~routerproxy/abilene/ )
> and got similar results.
>
>    In the past I've always attributed this to the "if you are looking
> at multicast you are going to see lots of it" effect. ;-)  I mean if
> you were receiving all 100 beacons at 10 packets/second each that
> would be 1000 packets/second.  But it does look like something odd
> is going on.
>
>    Maybe Jeff or John can let us know what they find.  Marty

John Greenfield
green at ahpcc.unm.edu
University of New Mexico
THE ALBUQUERQUE HIGH PERFORMANCE COMPUTING CENTER
Office # 505-277-8249
Direct # 505-277-9545
Fax #    505-277-8235