[AG-TECH] Multicast beacon questions

David E. Bernholdt bernhold at jumby.csm.ornl.gov
Wed Oct 24 12:53:22 CDT 2001

I have a couple of questions about the beacon and the web status
pages.

First of all, how much traffic should I be expecting?  The networking
folks have just been banging on my door because there seem to be
thousands of packets per second of multicast traffic due to my
beacon.  This doesn't make sense to me, as there are only O(100)
listed beacons.  It is possible something has changed recently, or a
site is misconfigured?  The networking folks have only noticed this in
the last couple of weeks, even though I've been running the beacon for
a perhaps two months.  Without meaning to point fingers, it seems like
an inordinante fraction of the traffic involves UNM.

I also have a question about how to interpret the beacon web pages.
If I look at the "details" page for the "Loss" display, I see my
machine (jumby.csm.ornl.gov) as R57, but when I look on the grid, R57
has another name associated with it and I don't see my machine
anywhere.  On the "Jitter" page, my machine shows up in the R59 slot
on the grid, but R79 in the details page.  So basically, I'm confused
as to what to believe and where to look for a given machine.

Thanks
David E. Bernholdt                   |   Email: bernholdtde at ornl.gov
Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   Phone: +1 (865) 574 3147
http://www.csm.ornl.gov/~bernhold/   |   Fax:   +1 (865) 574 0680