[AG-TECH] Re: USM/MSU Multicast Setup

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Wed May 16 13:44:58 CDT 2001

David,

I would be very happy to help you work on multicast for your access grid nodes.

The first thing you should do, before ANYTHING else, is to point your web
browser over to

   http://dast.nlanr.net/projects/beacon

and download the Beacon code.  Find a machine on each campus that can run
Java code, and start a Beacon.  When you use the default settings your
beacon will show up on the

   http://beaconserver.accessgrid.org:9999

and

   http://water.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/beacon-php/beacon.php

web pages.

The reason you start a beacon is so you have an active source and active
receiver so you can immediately see if your configuration is
working.  Also, running a beacon makes it very obvious precisely which
network addresses are involved.

In addition to the URLs that Jonas listed, I would recommend you start with
an Internet Draft I'm working on:

   ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-nickless-ipv4-mcast-bcp-01.txt

Comments you might have would be very useful to me, as you are the audience
for this draft-- someone who is starting to do multicast configuration.

Finally, don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any
assistance.  Access Grid multicast deployment is my "day job," I'm funded
to do it, and so I am willing to do whatever it takes to get you up and
running (up to and including me traveling there to help you in
person.)  Just let me know how I can help.

Good to have you on board,

===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov