[AG-TECH] AG Reservation for First Virtual Conference on Genomics and Bioinformatics

Marty Hoag Marty_Hoag at NDSU.NODAK.EDU
Fri Jun 22 15:20:56 CDT 2001

Mary, et al.:

   We'd like to make the following Virtual Venue reservations.  We'll
probably have to reserve a few times for test cruises too later.  If
there are any conflicts or problems please let us know.
   I hope the "All Day" time frame is ok - I guess I mean "All Day" in
the Central time zone (0000-2400 CDT) but if you need better numbers
please let me know.

Saturday, October 13, 2001
All Day (CDT)
Marty Hoag, NDSU_Access_Grid at NDSU.NODAK.EDU
virtual venue - Bridgeport
Test and Setup for First Virtual Conference on Genomics and
Bioinformatics
Participants: NDSU and confirmed nodes

Monday, October 15, 2001
All Day (CDT)
Marty hoag, NDSU_Access_Grid at NDSU.NODAK.EDU
virtual venue - Bridgeport
First Virtual Conference on Genomics and Bioinformatics, Day One of Two
Participants: NDSU and others.  Remote sites are welcome to sign up -
see tech page at:  http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/accessgrid/virtcon.html

Monday, October 15, 2001
All Day (CDT)
Marty hoag, NDSU_Access_Grid at NDSU.NODAK.EDU
virtual venue - Bridgeport
First Virtual Conference on Genomics and Bioinformatics, Day Two of Two
Participants: NDSU and others.  Remote sites are welcome to sign up -
see tech page at:  http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/accessgrid/virtcon.html

-----

Background for Node Operators and Call for Remote Sites:

   A group of researchers at NDSU is trying to use the Access Grid
to facilitate information sharing and cooperation among researchers
in Genomics and Bioinformatics.  They plan to invite up to 15 of the
top researchers in the field to make presentations.  Some of these
(with your help) may be from remote sites.  They are also interested
in trying to arrange "virtual poster sessions".  The goal is to use
distributed power point for the data presentations. (Has anyone
developed tools to easily launch the client either from a web page
or with a brief part of a standardized file name, e.g. a number?)

   The basic conference web page is being set up at
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/virtual-genomics/meetings.htm
The group held one seminar on the Access Grid recently.  That turned
out to be a bit more commercial than expected but did generate
interest and helped prove the worth of the AG as a collaborative tool.

   This first conference is being done as a "grass roots" effort
(in other words with a low budget!) but they hope to receive outside
funding assistance for future events.  If you would like to
participate please let me know.  I will include basic information
we need on the technical page mentioned above.  NDSU has only a DS3
(45 mbps) initial Internet2 link so we may have to manage the number
remote nodes in a way that maximizes opportunities for participation
(but we want to accomodate as many participants as possible).

   If you are interested please send me the initial information from
the tech page at
http://www.ndsu.nodak.edu/accessgrid/virtcon.html

  Thank you!

  Marty