[AG-TECH] New Gentner Software

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Thu Jul 26 19:52:57 CDT 2001

I control all of my Windows XP based nodes over the network today,
including all A/V settings as well as adjusting my network diagnostic
tools to suit the network situation of the hour ;-)  I do this using
Remote Desktop / Remote Administration which is an integral feature to
Windows XP / Windows 2000.

We've been asked to consider a web management interface to each of the
Windows XP nodes for use by network technicans et al who we don't want
to give remote desktop capabilities to but who need to be able to
monitor diagnostic status and adjust settings on an individual node
basis.  That's high on our priority list.

Regarding the security comment, I've run Windows NT et al, Linux, and
BSD boxes on the net in production capacity since 1994 and have never
had a box on any OS compromised in any way because I spent the time
during setup to properly secure them and spend a few minutes each week
checking logs and checking for security related patches.

 - jcb