[AG-TECH] Hi-quality video

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Sun Jul 22 17:52:59 CDT 2001

We are doing 640x480 @ 15 fps using Sony 1394 cameras, encoding them
using software M-JPEG, and transmitting them with a RTP stack that
supports Forward Error Correction which we found to be a requirement
when sending large frame video.

This system works side by side on the same box with analog capture cards
such as the Osprey 200 and Osprey 500 (which supports hardware
deinterlacing of NTSC signals).  We have found VIC quite unstable when
transmitting (receiving is just fine) video streams under Windows 2000
and Windows XP, so side by side on one computer is problematic at best
because VIC keeps crashing.  We've also found that VIC cannot deal with
our 1394 camera drivers which are based on the newer capture API WDM
(Windows Driver Model) instead of the older standard VfW (Video for
Windows).

We'll be releasing the RTP stack and a conference management application
in December per my previous message.  By December, I hope to have
support for not only M-JPEG (which is a bit of a CPU hog), but also ISO
MPEG-4 (decoding) and MS Video which is our Windows optimized offshoot
of MPEG-4 which significantly improves on quality and CPU efficiency for
320x240 and larger streams.

 - jcb