[AG-TECH] Hi-quality video

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Jul 22 14:16:42 CDT 2001

We have experimented with motion jpeg via commodity Pinnacle DC10+ jpeg
capture cards. They are inexpensive (<$100) and work well. We have a
version of vic for Linux that works well with those cards, and the AG
display vic uses the Intel JPEG Library to do realtime display of the JPEG
stream.

The code is currently in flux, but we have a student working on making it
robust this summer with an aim to distribute in the end of summer. The main
goals of this work are to ensure the card works well in an AG capture
machine alongside the BTTV-based capture cards and to get full 640x480
decoding working on the display side. The challenge with this is that
640x480 capture is implemented on-card by capturing and separately
JPEG-encoding two 640x240 fields. The display does not currently know how
to interlace these into a single 640x480 image. We currently throw away one
of the fields and line-double (via DirectX) into a 640x480 image.

Another option is the JPEG work done by the folks at UC Berkeley
(http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/~delco/rtptv/) using the LML33 cards. We've not
used this too, only tested the receive side. Worked fine, modulo some
network lossage.

What network bandwidths can your sites support? A single MJPEG stream is
around 10-15 Mbps.

--bob