[AG-TECH] AGN Computer Specs

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Jan 10 08:08:34 CST 2001

At 06:35 AM 1/10/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>"Barbara A. Kucera" wrote:
>
> > share the info.  I'm sure the ANL folks and others understand that you're
> > not being critical, just trying to be helpful so others don't find
> > themselves in the same spot.
>
>Well, I hope there was no offense taken.

No, certainly not! I don't like mistakes slipping out into published
documents.

Throughout the process we've been trying to only publish recommendations of
hardware we've used in house. The machines in the appendix broke this rule,
since we haven't purchased new PC hardware since the very beginning of the
project and what we have is fairly obsolete (PIII/550, 440BX chipset I
think). As a result, I spec'd machines of the appropriate power, but didn't
check the details well enough -- the purpose of the configurations was
mostly to come up with ballpark pricing on the computing side of the picture.

>  I was coming at this from
>the point that, up to now they've probably dealt with folks who
>do this every day, but now the dummies like me are coming out,
>and not necessarily looking at the specs in the way they'd hoped.
>I recall my real motivation for going with the SAG specs was just
>a sense of confidence that getting "those" machines would eliminate
>compatibility problems.

That was the intent, sigh. My apologies, Don.

--bob