[AG-TECH] AGN Computer Specs

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 9 23:28:31 CST 2001

Hi Don,

I think it's important that you bring up these points.  I'm sure that many
folks won't have the time or inclination to go through each machine and
check it point by point when making the purchase.  That's why we have a
spec list.  It's helpful to refine the list as we go . . . and important to
share the info.  I'm sure the ANL folks and others understand that you're
not being critical, just trying to be helpful so others don't find
themselves in the same spot.

Hang in there,

Barbara
------------

At 06:24 PM 01/08/2001 -0700, Don Morton wrote:
>I should add to my previous message and make sure it's clear
>that I'm not criticizing ANL or anybody for these discrepancies.
>Clearly, in the text of the specifications, it says one should
>make sure there are enough of the right sorts of slots.  It
>was my mistake to "assume" (I'm sure you all know "ASS U ME" :)
>that the computers listed in Appendix 1 matched these specs.
>I clearly should have gone through each spec and made sure
>I thoroughly understood them.  RTFM applies here, but I think
>that as the AG grows, you'll find more and more folks who
>don't have/spend the time sufficient to investigate these
>conflicts, and will make invalid assumptions as I did.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Don
>--
>    Don Morton                     http://www.cs.umt.edu/u/morton/
>    Department of Computer Science       The University of Montana
>    Missoula, MT 59812 | Voice (406) 243-4975 | Fax (406) 243-5139

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - Edsger W. Dijkstra, computer science professor