[AG-TECH] RAT not finding audio card

Allan Spale aspale at evl.uic.edu
Wed Feb 28 12:50:32 CST 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Don Morton wrote:

> I hadn't seen that test tone thingy but, once I found it, I was able to
> do some debugging, find that indeed I was using the wrong sound card
> (not the wrong type, just plugged into the wrong one), had made a
> couple of other typically-Morton goofs, and I can at least speak/hear
> locally.
>
> I'll see if I can talk/hear to/from lobby a bit later this afternoon, then try
> to understand why my video signal isn't going out.  Getting close, I think!
>
> Little questions:
>
> 1) Which room in the mud is the most appropriate for asking these stupid
>      little questions live?  Hangout?

Waterfall Glen usually works well.

> 2) Courtesy/Protocol - am I correct in my assumption that it's "appropriate" in
>
>     the lobby to get on the mic and say something like, "Hey, can anybody hear
>     me?"  Or am I viewed as one of those little pains if I do that? :)

Personally, I do not do that on a regular basis, but there have been times
when I did talk "informally" in that room.

Formal testing of audio should be done in the Test Room.  Trouble is to
find people who are willing to test audio with you.

A side note-- debugging audio locally can be done with a packet reflector
(program's name is reflector).

First download the program to your video machine from from:
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/linux-reflector.tar.gz

For information from Bob Olson about this program, go to this site (from
the ag-tech archive):
http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/web-mail-archive/lists/ag-tech/msg00039.html

One personal experience note...it is important to set the minimum and
maximum delay to the same value.  If you don't, your audio might get
garbled and you will think that your audio has a problem.

> 3) On the display machine - I can finally get the collection of all the other
> cams in
>      the lobby.  Should I be seeing my "own" cam in that collection if things
> are working
>     properly?  As it stands now, my "own" cam is showing up in its own
> collection of
>     just local cams.

If my memory serves me right (please, if I am wrong, someone can correct
me), that would seem to indicate that your multicast (or whomever is
sending you the video through vtc) is not working properly.

Personal note, I currently see one video stream from Montana in the Lobby.

Allan Spale
EVL / UIC node-op