[AG-TECH] MSB and Linux

Jay Beavers jbeavers at microsoft.com
Fri Aug 17 11:21:49 CDT 2001

Fyi, the use case for this scenario is to enable members of Microsoft
Research to participate in Internet2 based conferencing with other
researchers or faculty members.  The tunnelling occurs only between one
machine and the Internet2, it is not used to route or forward traffic
between network segments.  I believe this is within the Internet2
Acceptable Use Policy, though I will not offer this service to our
researchers if someone points out what policy it is violating.

The alternative is deploying two network ports to each office connected
to two separate computers in order to maintain network security.  That
has been my methodology to date and as you can imagine it has a bit of
overhead which decreases the usefulness and deployability of Internet2
conferencing between researchers.

This scenario is neither 'expedient' nor a replacement for Microsoft's
existing and continuing support for solid multicast transport,
applications, and tools.  It is a use of working, standards based
technology to solve the real world problem of how do you cross network
security boundaries that are an unfortunate requirement of the real
world.

 - jcb