[AG-TECH] AG demonstration ideas

Jennifer Teig von Hoffman jtvh at bu.edu
Thu Aug 16 15:00:05 CDT 2001

Hi Mike,

Here at BU, we've run demonstrations a number of different ways. For our
standard dog-and-pony show, I usually try to get 2-3 other sites to
participate and run the demo like this:

* introductions of local and remote participants
* brief (distributed) PowerPoint presentation about the AG, encouraging my
local audience to jump in at any time with questions for me or, more
importantly, our remote participants
* question-and-answer session, steering lots of questions to remote
participants if necessary -- and it usually isn't necessary, since they
usually want to talk to the people on the screen more than they want to
talk to me. :-)

Other things which we sometimes add, which make things a bit more
interesting (depending in large part on the group involved and on the time
allotted):

* "walkaround tour" of our node, with brief explanations of the AG
architecture, multicast networking, what OSs run on the various
machines, etc
* "walkaround tour" of the Virtual Venues space, showing them the Venues
web interface and letting them watch vic and rat as you move around
* demonstration of other AG-related software, like VTK/vic, VNC, VR audio
and video ported out to the AG
* if the group visiting for the demo has a particular area of interest
(say, art and high performance computing), invite others who have interest
in that area to participate from remote sites (warn the remote sites
first!) and tailor the demo to that area of interest, allowing the
participants plenty of time to brainstorm among themselves over the AG.

There are a lot of people on this list who have done a *ton* of demos, so
I'll bet you'll get more suggestions too.

- Jennifer