"Re: [AG-TECH] lighting" - Cameras?

Jonas Talandis jonast at evl.uic.edu
Mon Apr 30 13:25:46 CDT 2001

We use them. I agree with Bob, but there are some redeeming qualities to
consider. I think their main strength is lighting a talking head in a vtc
application, where two of them are offset on the ceiling about 5 or 6 feet
from the subject. They come in two versions, a master and slave, so you can
daisy chain them and tweak the illumination level from a single IR remote.
They cost about $900 apiece.

good video needs light so sometimes you trade some subject comfort for the
audience. We found it's not too bad with a little experimentation in your
space.

At 12:43 PM 4/30/01 , Robert Olson wrote:
>We've got some of them (I don't remember the model). They're apparently
>meant to work as fill lighting to augment standard room lighting. The
>video you get looks really nice, but they are pretty obnoxious -- to have
>good effect, they need to be fairly close to the people they are
>illuminating, and are uncomfortably bright.
>
>--bob
>
>At 12:26 PM 4/30/2001 -0500, Michael Grobe wrote:
>>also on this subject, i recently saw some Navitar lights in a local
>>video conference showroom....more info at
>>
>>    http://www.navitar.com/
>>
>>they say they attenuate the flicker problem and have a suitable temperature.
>>
>>apparently there are 2 models.
>>
>>has anyone worked with these lights? if so, which models, and how did
>>they perform?

Jonas Talandis
Electronic Visualization Laboratory
University of Illinois at Chicago