[AG-TECH] Help on Beaconviewer, Subsetting Viewer Available

Ravikiran Madduri maddrav at charlie.cns.iit.edu
Fri Apr 6 15:35:42 CDT 2001

On Fri, 6 Apr 2001, Robert Olson wrote:

> A concern I'd have with that approach is the requirement for CORBA on all
> the clients... is the orb something that is available in all the JVMs? Can
> you redistribute the jars for it? How does it handle the network link to
> the server coming and going?
The latest JDK has an builtin ORB inside it.But as far as i know the
clients do not require the ORB.They need to the reference of ORB that we
run at the server.Once they get the handle to the ORB it is a simple hack.
Regarding the network link i did not understand what you meant Would you
please elaborate on that

> On the topic of the beacon ...
>
> I've put a hack into the beacon server that writes a text-format dump of
> the server state once per minute. You can find this at
>
>          http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~beacon/table.out
>
> For the folks wanting to do archiving of beacon data, this should provide a
> means for getting the raw data. The format should be pretty
> self-explanatory; the tuples of data at the cross points are loss rate /
> delay / jitter/ out of order/ duplicates. The tuple is preceded with an "S"
> if the entry is stale (grey cell).

Actually I wrote some java programs that download the html page at
beaconserver.accessgrid.org:9999 page for every 5 minutes and then parse
the
HTML page and dump all the data into a mySQL database.Since the HTML Page
is always available I thought this database would go long way in archiving
the beacon data.Let me know what you think about this

> There is a php-based viewer available that allows the selection of a subset
> of the beacons to view, either by node name or by beacon name. This is at
>
>          http://water.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/beacon.php
>
> This location will likely change at some point, but is up and working now.

We are at Illinois Institute of Technology and are currently in the
process aof acquiring resources to build a AGNode here.We need your expert
guidance in doing the same

> If you run an AG node and are not listed in the list of nodes, send me a
> note with your beacon name and I'll add you.

> This interface currently only shows the loss rates. Anyone who's interested
> in adding more  support, let me know and I'll send you the php code to
> modify. (I've already spent more time puttering with this than I probably
> should :-)
>
> --bob
I can modify the php code to support all the features so please do send me
the code
Ravikiran