[AG-TECH] Help on Beaconviewer, Subsetting Viewer Available

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 6 15:04:00 CDT 2001

A concern I'd have with that approach is the requirement for CORBA on all
the clients... is the orb something that is available in all the JVMs? Can
you redistribute the jars for it? How does it handle the network link to
the server coming and going?

On the topic of the beacon ...

I've put a hack into the beacon server that writes a text-format dump of
the server state once per minute. You can find this at

         http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~beacon/table.out

For the folks wanting to do archiving of beacon data, this should provide a
means for getting the raw data. The format should be pretty
self-explanatory; the tuples of data at the cross points are loss rate /
delay / jitter/ out of order/ duplicates. The tuple is preceded with an "S"
if the entry is stale (grey cell).

There is a php-based viewer available that allows the selection of a subset
of the beacons to view, either by node name or by beacon name. This is at

         http://water.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/beacon.php

This location will likely change at some point, but is up and working now.

If you run an AG node and are not listed in the list of nodes, send me a
note with your beacon name and I'll add you.

This interface currently only shows the loss rates. Anyone who's interested
in adding more  support, let me know and I'll send you the php code to
modify. (I've already spent more time puttering with this than I probably
should :-)

--bob