[AG-TECH] WVU and AG for VE REU site

Barbara A. Kucera bkucera at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 2 13:36:33 CDT 2001

This is absolutely the type of applications we're seeking, Frances, to
determine what works best.  I'm delighted to hear that you'll be using the
AG for these activities.

What type of training seminars to you have in mind?
Do you have colleagues at other institutions with whom you would like to
collaborate in the research seminars?
Do you envision the research symposium at the end of the project as a large
central activity using the AG in an auditorium setting, or as a distributed
number of remote sites participating in the regular AG manner?

This has great potential; I'll look forward to hearing more about what
you're doing.

Regards,

Barbara
------------

At 12:18 PM 04/02/2001 -0400, Frances L VanScoy wrote:
>West Virginia University has received unofficial word that our Virtual
>Environments Research Experiences for Undergraduates site is likely to be
>funded for this summer.
>
>As we've begun planning for the site, we've realized that we'd like to use
>the Access Grid fairly intensively over the ten weeks of the project.
>
>In particular we'd like to:
>         * conduct 20 3-hour training sessions
>         * present 8 1-hour weekly research seminars
>         * offer a 2-day research symposium at the end of the project
>all over the Access Grid.
>
>I realize we'll have to request a virtual room for the proper times and
>dates, but right now I'm just asking this community
>
>         Is this an appropriate use of the Access Grid?
>
>Our REU site will probably run from May 29 through August 3.
>

>Frances Van Scoy   fvanscoy at wvu.edu   304-293-2466   fax 304-293-8155

Barbara A. Kucera
Alliance/EPSCoR Liaison
National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
(217) 244-0131 * Fax (217) 244-2909

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about
telescopes. - Edsger W. Dijkstra, computer science professor