AG computer specs

Jeff Long long at kestrel.cc.ukans.edu
Wed Sep 6 18:57:57 CDT 2000

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Nickolas S. Jovanovic (501) 569-8226 wrote:

> I have two basic choices for the computers: (1) issue a request
> for bids, along with detailed specs, or (2) purchase computers
> from Dell through our state contract.

> If I buy from Dell, I can get the computers more quickly, but some
> folks here are concerned about IRQ issues for the display machine
> (with Matrox G200 Quad and Matrox G400 Dual cards) and for
> the video capture machine (with 4 Hauppauge Win/TV cards). They
> tell me that the Dell BIOS don't allow for customization very well.
>
> I would appreciate advice from anyone who has purchased their
> AG computers by either of these methods. I would be especially
> interested in hearing from someone who has recently purchased
> their computers and has their AG node up and running.

We purchased Dell's initially (GX300's).  They were completely worthless
for running a display machine, they couldn't handle 2 G200's and 1 G400.
Their tech support pretty much refused to support trying to configure that
so we gave up and purchased something with what I think is an AOpen
motherboard in it (not 100% sure off the top of my head).

The Dell's do work great for every other system though, even the video
capture box with 4 capture cards in it.

Jeff Long
KU