AG computer specs

Jeffrey Eschbach eschbach at rsch.comm.mot.com
Thu Sep 7 00:14:58 CDT 2000

Nickolas, see responses below...

> If I buy from Dell, I can get the computers more quickly, but some
> folks here are concerned about IRQ issues for the display machine
> (with Matrox G200 Quad and Matrox G400 Dual cards) and for
> the video capture machine (with 4 Hauppauge Win/TV cards). They
> tell me that the Dell BIOS don't allow for customization very well.

We just got done building an AG node at Motorola Labs, and went with
SAG Electronics.  They are familiar with the setup, and all machines
were easily configured once we received them (no problem with the
display machine).  However, be warned that SAG had to be the absolute
worst customer service I have ever dealt with: calling tens of times
to find out about forgotten shipments, promises of shipping dates that
come and go, never returning calls, etc.  We ordered a rack in May and
after countless "reminders", we finally received it in late August.
So if you are worried about being able to configure the machines,
then SAG is a definite option, but beware of potential problems if
anything goes wrong with your order.

> There's also no way for me to buy directly from SAG. They would
> have to win the bid against the local vendors, who have no
> experience with AG nodes.

Can you specify in the bid that the display machine MUST be able
to accommodate the video cards?  Might weed out others and leave SAG
or someone else that will work.

> Is there anything else that I need, but that SAG doesn't provide?

The cameras, video cards, Gentner equipment (AP800 and AP10),
microphones, speakers, and cables.  Got the cameras on the web, video
cards from Microwarehouse (warehouse.com), Gentner and microphones
from local reseller (see www.gentner.com), speakers at a local
audio shop, and cables through various sources.

> The quote from SAG also didn't include a rack itself, so is there
> an "official" rack recommendation?

As for a rack, a 42" worked out well for us.  It was enough for the
4 machines (video, audio, control, and display) and the Gentner
equipment too.  SAG can get you one which it is really nice, but
check to see how long it will take for delivery.

Hope that helped!

Jeff Eschbach
Motorola Labs
eschbach at rsch.comm.mot.com