AG computer specs

Nickolas S. Jovanovic (501) 569-8226 nsjovanovic at ualr.edu
Wed Sep 6 18:55:40 CDT 2000

I have been traveling for much of the summer, but I am now
back at my university and want to purchase the computers
for our AG node as soon as possible.

I have most of the audio-visual equipment already and my
new grad student and a technician are starting to setup our
AG room.

I have two basic choices for the computers: (1) issue a request
for bids, along with detailed specs, or (2) purchase computers
from Dell through our state contract.

I have had some discussions with SAG and they don't install
all of the necessary cards (e.g., Win/TV and Matrox G200 Quad),
so we would have to open up the boxes and install/configure
the cards ourselves. This is no big deal if the cards are known
to work, i.e., if someone else has already done it and had no
problems.

The quote from SAG also didn't include a rack itself, so is there
an "official" rack recommendation?

Is there anything else that I need, but that SAG doesn't provide?

There's also no way for me to buy directly from SAG. They would
have to win the bid against the local vendors, who have no
experience with AG nodes.

If I buy from Dell, I can get the computers more quickly, but some
folks here are concerned about IRQ issues for the display machine
(with Matrox G200 Quad and Matrox G400 Dual cards) and for
the video capture machine (with 4 Hauppauge Win/TV cards). They
tell me that the Dell BIOS don't allow for customization very well.

I would appreciate advice from anyone who has purchased their
AG computers by either of these methods. I would be especially
interested in hearing from someone who has recently purchased
their computers and has their AG node up and running.

I asked for this information in May, but some time has passed since
then, and I am wondering if there is new information of which I
should be aware before purchasing.

Thank you,

-Nick

Nickolas S. Jovanovic, Ph.D., P.E.