Rat 4.2.3 + mixer

Jay Tamboli jtamboli at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 9 08:53:55 CDT 2000

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 03:44:27PM -0500, Robert Olson wrote:
> I was just trying this out on my machine that has I think the same card
> (ES1371-based AudioPCI). lspci calls it a:
>
> Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 08)
>
> ossmix sez
>
> Selected mixer 0/AudioPCI 97 (CRY13/0x43525913)
>
> The rat at
>
> http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~olson/AG/Software/Linux/rat-4.2.4-oss-a2.tar.gz
>
> has been modified to not touch the master volume at startup. I don't see it
> touching the line level at all either when I start or when I adjust other
> levels.

Testing that version on the machine with the ES1371 (rev 07) gives the
same result: master volume set to 22:0.  On this machine ossmix gives
"Selected mixer 0/AudioPCI 97 (STAC9708)".
Testing that version on the machine with the ES1370 [AudioPCI] (rev 01)
gives the same result: touching line-in sets it to 100.  On this machine
ossmix gives "Selected mixer 0/Ensoniq AudioPCI".

We have another machine with an ES1370 [AudioPCI] (rev 01) that does not
exhibit any of these problems with any version of Rat.  The difference
between this machine and the ones with problems appears to be the
drivers.  The machine with no problems is running kernel 2.2.15 with
OSS/Free, driver es1370 version 0.31.  The machine with problems is
running OSS/Linux 3.9.3c on a kernel 2.2.12-20.