Rat 4.2.3 + mixer

Jay Tamboli jtamboli at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 8 12:53:24 CDT 2000

Since installing Rat 4.2.4, we've had some problems with its control of
the mixer.  I downgraded to 4.2.3 (we had made a jump from 4.2.2 to
4.2.4), and the problems were still there, so the problem seems to have
been introduced with Rat 4.2.3.  Both computers are running the OSS
verison of Rat on Linux 2.2.12.  The problems are as follows:

One of our computers has a soundcard identified by /dev/sndstat as an
"Ensoniq AudioPCI / Sound Blaster PCI".  On this computer, and
adjustment to the input gain in Rat causes the actual gain (as seen in
another mixer program) to jump to 100%.  Rat is usable otherwise if the
gain is set in another mixer program.

The other computer has a soundcard identified by /dev/sndstat as an
"Ensoniq AudioPCI 97".  On this computer launching Rat changes the
master volume level to 22:0 (left:right).

If anyone can offer advice on these problems, I would appreciate it.
Thank you,

Jay Tamboli
NCSA