Talking Circle [Re: President Clinton Demo]

Bill Nickless nickless at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 11 22:47:18 CDT 2000

Excerpted from http://www.uccan.org/global/interfaith01.htm#5 we read:

>5. Talking Circles
>The initial challenge in interfaith work is how to establish trust.
>Without trust, conversation soon grinds to a halt. How the conversation is
>conducted reflects power structures. A guest speaker is still a guest, one
>voice among many. How do we break out of the Western Christian model of
>conversation? Asked another way, the question becomes "How should we meet
>each other?" When this question was posed to Aboriginal communities, the
>response was the talking circle. In the talking circle, a sacred emblem is
>passed from person to person, and the holder bears the right to speak
>without interruption. In such a way, the voices of all those present are
>honoured.
>·       The talking circle takes time, which may at first be perceived as
>a limitation but is actually a strength. It is a model based on completion
>and respect, rather than reliance on "authoritative" perspectives.

For context, the source of the quotation is the United Church of Canada.

I don't know how a Digital Talking Circle would operate on Monday.
===
Bill Nickless    http://www.mcs.anl.gov/people/nickless      +1 630 252 7390
PGP:0E 0F 16 80 C5 B1 69 52 E1 44 1A A5 0E 1B 74 F7     nickless at mcs.anl.gov