bandwidth (was Re: AG reservation)

Rick Stevens stevens at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Oct 1 16:04:23 CDT 1999

Tom:  This doesn't completely answer your questions but gives some
insight as to where we are heading with session management.

When we release prototype AG-Metro (One of the tools for management of
multiple simultaneous sessions) Session management and configuration will
be done via
a Web server interface to a shared AG-Metro database that will set up and
maintain
a set of virtual sessions that get instantiated when one or more AG nodes
attaches. (The specific choice of multicast addresses etc., will be
done in context of the global Mbone usage and the AG users will not
need to know about these levels of details, and so these can change
without altering the use of the AG). AG-Metro will support multiple
simultaneous sessions mapped to virtual rooms, aggregated into a virtual
meeting place (like a virtual conferencing center will multiple meeting
rooms)..
You (and your AG-Node) can move from one virtual room to another and the
stream and session management will be handled automatically by the system.
AG-Metro will require a consistent AG node configuration at all the sites
to enable the automated session management features to work (hence our
push for common node configurations).  We have demonstrated a early version
of this last week at our DOE site visit and are working a more robust
version for early deployment to AG sites.. One key requirement for
this is that the sites be running the standard 2 Linux/NT/Win98 configuration
for the AG-Metro interfaces need the Linux/NT resources to be identical at
each of the sites to work (at least in the current prototype version)..  I
hope we can do some of these multiple virtual venue experiments before
SC99 and then again at SC99 :-)

Currently for manual session creation, one needs to use a tool like sd or
manually choose known mcast addresses to create the session and set
parameters for the session, keeping in mind that the Mbone is shared
community resource. Bridges if any have to be manually configured. etc.
We are planning an AG service called the "network flow engine" that would help
manage both mcast and unicast streams and interfaces to quality of service
mechanisms...

More about this at the AG-Tech R&D meeting..