Fwd: [alsa-user] Re: SBLive! noise

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Dec 13 21:28:06 CST 1999

More on this.

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 02:35:39 +0200 (EET)
From: Ivo Sarak <ivo at ra.vendomar.ee>
To: alsa-user at alsa-project.org
Subject: [alsa-user] Re: SBLive! noise
Sender: alsa-user-owner at alsa.alsa-project.org

On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

 > On Mon, 13 Dec 1999, Ian Wehrman wrote:
 > > second, i have a much more abstract problem... in short, the sound
quality
 > > coming out of the front, analog, line out on the live card is not very
clean.
 > > when the PCM control is turned up more than 60 or so, i can hear a lot
of noise
 > > on the line. i'm using rather high quality cables to send the analog
signal to
 > > the same receiver (and it sounded fine with my older opl3-sa3 based
card). i
 > > suppose there are any number of things that could be causing this, but
i was
 > > just wondering if this was a general problem with the emu10k1 drivers
right now,
 > > or if i'm the only one having these problems... also, i get the same
noise when
 > > i use creative's oss sound modules.
 >
 > I think the general consensus is that the emu10k1 is a noisy chip. People
 > who used the windoze drivers had the same comments about noise, so it does
 > not look like it is specific to the drivers. One person commented that if
 > you turn down the analogue input levels (mic in, etc) it helps a bit.
 >
 > -Dan

         I had some arguements with Creative about noise, but it lead to
nowhere. Every attempt to find the problem lead to 'use new drivers'. But
what I found out, this noise is related to 'line out', but not to 'rear
out', so I use SBLive! in 4 speaker mode with two speakers at 'rear out'.
'line out' is with amplifier, but 'rear out' is not. I suspect the
amplifier of 'line out' is what is causing this noise.

         Regards,
Ivo.

------