[AG-DEV] Re: Location of AG config files

Tobias Schiebeck Tobias.Schiebeck at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Sep 12 02:41:27 CDT 2008

Hi,

Beeing a Debian user for some years now, I know that Debian has
sometimes strange ideas how to package things. On the other hand I was
slightly surprised to find "code" such as the SharedPresentation
implementation under /etc . IMHO /etc is the place for config files and
thats what I think Debian is trying to enforce (which I don't think is
the right thing to do but ...)

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 07:55 -0500, Thomas D. Uram wrote:
> Chris:
>
> What's the chance that a future change will also impact files under
> /usr/share, requiring another adjustment?  Is there any guidance from
> the debian/ubuntu community about how to adjust, or where such files
> should be placed?
> > (One way around this would be to create a single mega-package of AG &
> > related service packages, but I feel it would be an unsatisfying, if
> > not "wrong", solution)
> I agree that this is not the right way to go.

I think /usr/share is where the NodeServices and other "code" should be
placed and should be fairly safe from changes. The pure configuration
files such as the nodeConfig could stay under /etc as it would be
recreated if it isn't there, and /etc is the place where people look for
these general configuration stuff.

Best Wishes

Tobias

Tobias Schiebeck                    tobias.schiebeck at manchester.ac.uk
Research Computing Services           http://www.rcs.manchester.ac.uk
The University of Manchester                  tel: (+44) 161-275-0601