[AG-DEV] Re: Location of AG config files

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Fri Sep 12 23:50:45 CDT 2008

On 12/09/2008, at 5:41 PM, Tobias Schiebeck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Beeing a Debian user for some years now, I know that Debian has
> sometimes strange ideas how to package things. On the other hand I was
> slightly surprised to find "code" such as the SharedPresentation
> implementation under /etc . IMHO /etc is the place for config files
> and
> thats what I think Debian is trying to enforce (which I don't think is
> the right thing to do but ...)
>
> On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 07:55 -0500, Thomas D. Uram wrote:
>> Chris:
>>
>> What's the chance that a future change will also impact files under
>> /usr/share, requiring another adjustment?  Is there any guidance from
>> the debian/ubuntu community about how to adjust, or where such files
>> should be placed?
>>> (One way around this would be to create a single mega-package of
>>> AG &
>>> related service packages, but I feel it would be an unsatisfying, if
>>> not "wrong", solution)
>> I agree that this is not the right way to go.
>
> I think /usr/share is where the NodeServices and other "code"
> should be
> placed and should be fairly safe from changes. The pure configuration
> files such as the nodeConfig could stay under /etc as it would be
> recreated if it isn't there, and /etc is the place where people
> look for
> these general configuration stuff.

I agree that this is the correct way to go.

However splitting these files into separate locations entails more
work to implement compared with having them all in /etc or all in /
usr/share - having them all in one place means just a single line of
code needs to be changed (the definition of AGTkBasePath).

If we now have a separate location for some of the files (I suggest
the Services, NodeServices and SharedApplications directories), then
we'd need not just an additional variable defining the new location,
but also changes to any current code which assumes the old locations.
For instance, convenience functions like GetSharedAppDir() themselves
call GetBaseDir() which would now return the wrong location;
something to replace GetBaseDir() is needed in all these cases.

If we decide to go ahead with something like this, the next question
is who will implement it? I'm prepared to do it but the changes touch
on reasonably fundamental bits of AG internals so perhaps it is best
left to Tom ... ?

Either way, Debian Lenny is currently frozen in the lead up to being
released. It would be good to have any AG changes fully in place by
the time Lenny is released.
Similarly, Ubuntu 8.10 is due in October.

chris