[AG-DEV] Identity certificates

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 27 15:00:15 CDT 2008

Luis:

See responses inline.

On 3/14/08 3:24 PM, Luis Galárraga wrote:
> Greetings Tom:
>
> First of all, thanks again for your help, I have several questions,
> this time related to server certificates. Do the things we were
> talking about identity certificates apply to server certificates?. We
> have a developer who is working in consuming AG server web services
> from a Java Client. He would like to work at home, but unfortunately
> our request for opening certain tcp ports was denied because of
> security issues. I told him to run server and client in his machine. I
> had to make a server certificate request to be able to run the server
> first time:
> - Is it possible to omit this step?.
The server does require a certificate; this requirement cannot be avoided.
> - If not, is it possible to create it with a tool like openssl. When
> starting server from terminal, it asks for a certificate.
You can build up the required certificate state completely independent
from the Access Grid Developers CA if you want.  In that case, you'll
have to make sure that the CA cert is installed at both the server and
at client machines.  And the CA cert will have to be used to sign the
certificate used to run the server.  This is standard PKI practice, so
you should be able to find sufficient references online.  If you have
trouble, please ask.
> - Is there a way of exporting a certificate from command line. I have
> a problem with the certificate management tool (it crashes
> unexpectedly. I reported it and there is someone working to provide
> you a better report) so I cannot do it through graphical interface.
You can use certmgr.py.  In some cases, it will be called certmgr3.py.
After running it, type 'help' for a list of available commands.