[AG-DEV] AG 3.2 RPM pre-beta SVN snapshots for Fedora and RHEL

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Sat Jun 21 17:01:44 CDT 2008

On 22/06/2008, at 1:44 AM, Todd Zimmerman wrote:

> Christoph Willing wrote:
>> I've noticed that a sudo quirk can be responsible for some entries
>> (sometimes all entries) in .AccessGrid3 being owned by root.
>
> Interesting.  On install, I did a  'sudo rpm -Uvh AccessGrid...'
> from an existing non root account.  So the RPM install creates
> a .AccessGrid3 subdirectory in the location the rpm command is run
> from???  That seems unfortunate.  Why is the rpm install even
> creating these directories at all - it seems that those should be
> created on VenuCelient launch if required.

They'll be created by _any_ AG toolkit application, not just the
VenueClient. The deb & tgz installers (Debian, Slackware, Ubuntu) all
run a toolkit application (the AG package management tool) as part of
the installation preocess. I'm not really familiar with the RPM
installer and it may have a different mechanism altogether to
register shared apps that are included in the toolkit itself, so my
theory could be way off track.

chris

>> To avoid this, instead of using sudo by itself when installing
>> etc., use:
>>     sudo -H .....
>> which ensures that new entries in .AccessGrid3 are owned by the
>> user running sudo rather than root.
>
> Great thx.  I'll definitely use that.
>
> Thanks everyone,
>
> Todd

Christoph Willing                        +617 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland