[AG-DEV] AG 3.2 RPM pre-beta SVN snapshots for Fedora and RHEL

Christoph Willing c.willing at uq.edu.au
Fri Jun 20 22:48:20 CDT 2008

On 21/06/2008, at 3:57 AM, Todd Zimmerman wrote:

> Douglas Kosovic wrote:
>> Hi,
>> AccessGrid-3.2 pre-beta SVN snapshots RPMs for Fedora and RHEL5
>> can now
>> be found here:
>>   http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/ag3/fedora/development/RPMS/
>
> One other issue.  On two installs now, I get a silent failure of
> the venueclient after updating.
>
> When running 'VenueClient -d' it turns out it fails with a:
>
> IOError: [Error 13] Permission denied: '/home/tz/.AccessGrid3/
> Caches/venues'
>
> When I check, sure enough, the .AccessGrid3/Caches directory is
> owned by root with no write permission to other.  After chown'ing
> this directory recursively everything is fine.

I've noticed that a sudo quirk can be responsible for some entries
(sometimes all entries) in .AccessGrid3 being owned by root. If you
upgraded using sudo or ran some part of the toolkit using sudo then
your existing .AccessGrid directory tree may be affected - any new
entries will probably be owned by root.

The worst possible example of this is when a new user account is
being used i.e. no .AccessGrid3 exists at all yet. Then, when using
sudo to run certmg3, agpm3, etc., a whole .AccesssGrid3 hierarchy is
created, _all_ owned by root. This was a particular problem with AG
installation systems which explicitly call agpm3 --postinstall to
install the system owned Shared Apps (SharedBrowser &
SharedPresentation).

To avoid this, instead of using sudo by itself when installing etc.,
use:
	sudo -H .....
which ensures that new entries in .AccessGrid3 are owned by the user
running sudo rather than root.

My guess is that in Todd's case there was an existing .AccessGrid3
hierarchy from previously having run the 3.1 version. Using sudo to
install (or run some part of) the 3.2 version then generated
the .AccessGrid3/Caches directory (which is new in 3.2) & contents
which would be owned by root.

chris

Christoph Willing                        +617 3365 8350
QCIF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland