[AG-DEV] Vic Video Device Conflicts

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Mon Jul 21 21:41:30 CDT 2008

Hi Todd,

> However I'm having another issue involving multiple capture devices.
>
> My setup is Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 on /dev/video0 running under a
> VideoService and a Hauppage
> Wintv BT878 based card running on /dev/video1 running under a
> VideoServiceH264 (I'd use a
> VideoProducerH264 service but for some reason it doesn't prompt me for
> which dev resource to use...)

With the AG 3.2 RPMs was bundling an AG 3.1 version of VideoProducerH264 & VideoConsumerH264 and wasn't bundling any VideoServiceH264.

I've put up new AG 3.2 RPMs with the latest H264 services and are available here:
http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/ag3/fedora/development/RPMS/

> Sometimes this setup works fine, other times not so much.  No matter
> what 'start priority' I put on
> the services, sometimes the VideoService steals /dev/video1.
> Unfortunately, /dev/video0 doesn't
> even come up as an option on the vic device menu on the VideoService,
> so I can't even manually
> change it back.  The VideoServiceH264 also tries to use /dev/video1 but
> obviously ends up with no video.
>
> Not sure if I explained this clearly, but any suggestions would help.

You might like to try forcing the bttv device to be /dev/video1 in /etc/modules.conf, e.g:
  options bttv video_nr=1

for your webcam, try a modinfo on it's kernel module, hopefully it has either a index or video_nr param.

Cheers,
Doug