[AG-DEV] Tapping into the video streams

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Nov 20 03:47:45 CST 2007

Hi,

I have discovered what the problem is.  There is a bug in Java for linux which is caused by IPv6 being enabled.  You can tell java to use IPv4 instead by calling -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true on the java command line.

Also, I have found that vic on linux disables the loopback of multicast packets (using the IP_MULTICAST_LOOP socket option).  Unfortunatly, on linux, this appears to disable the looping of *outgoing* packets rather than incoming packets (on windows, the opposite happens, so the socket that requests the disabling of the loop doesn't receive packets sent by the local host, which makes more sense in my mind).  So any packets sent out by vic will not be looped back to the local machine.  You can resolve this by downloading the vic source and recompiling with this disabled.  The offending lines are in vic/net/net-ip.cpp - on line 482 change c = 0 to c = 1.

Note also that rat doesn't appear to have loopback disabled so it works fine.

Andrew :)

Research Computing Services,
Manchester Computing,
Kilburn Building,