[AG-DEV] Gentoo ebuilds for AG3 beta

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 1 18:03:17 CST 2006

On 2/1/06 4:10 PM, Rhys Hawkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to put together some ebuilds for the AG3beta and
> have some issues:
>
> 1. AG3 installs itself to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/AccessGrid3
> and the VenueClient fails to import AccessGrid.*. Adding the above
> directory to the PYTHONPATH environment variable fixes this but is
> there a better way to do this?

This is a necessary bit to support coexistence of AG2 and AG3.  It needs to
be handled specially on Linux and Windows.  On Windows, it is done by
using the bin/runag.py script, which sets the pythonpath and then executes
the given argument, for example:

runag.py VenueClient.py

This works on Windows because everything is behind a start menu item.

This issue runs into your next question....

> 2. How have other distributions dealt with installing the VenueClient.py
> exe (and the rest) alongside AG2.4. Install as VenueClient3.py?

This is only a problem on Linux, and the thinking was to install the
bin scripts as *3.py as you suggest.  Given the problem above and this
one, and the desire to run these directly from the command line,
maybe the *3.py scripts should set the pythonpath and then execute the
'real' script, wherever it lives...

I'm not sure how Chris and Doug have dealt with it in their packages,
though I did discuss this with Chris.

> 3. Which version of mDNS have others tested against. I am getting
> errors coming from the pyBonjour module which I didn't see before
> when testing the CVS version a short while ago.

I used the tarball from the Apple Bonjour pages.  You have to register
with them to get access to it.

> 4. When trying to connect to the venue server, I get an exception
> triggered by:
>     from xml.dom.ext.reader import PyExpat
> Is this meant to come from one of the dependencies or is my python
> version too old?

You should have PyXML 0.8.3 or greater.  This is a ZSI dependency.

> 5. The ZSI I have (CVS from 29th) installs the wsdl interface
> generators without the .py extension which breaks the GenerateInterfaces
> script.

Make sure you have current code from the ZSI trunk and you should be good.

If I can do anything to help your Gentoo packaging effort (I was supposed to,
wasn't I?), let me know.

Tom