[AG-DEV] Gentoo ebuilds for AG3 beta

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Feb 1 19:10:25 CST 2006

Hi Rhys,

>> 2. How have other distributions dealt with installing the VenueClient.py
>> exe (and the rest) alongside AG2.4. Install as VenueClient3.py?
>
> This is only a problem on Linux, and the thinking was to install the
> bin scripts as *3.py as you suggest.  Given the problem above and this
> one, and the desire to run these directly from the command line,
> maybe the *3.py scripts should set the pythonpath and then execute the
> 'real' script, wherever it lives...
>
> I'm not sure how Chris and Doug have dealt with it in their packages,
> though I did discuss this with Chris.

We've postponed the issue by just using symlinks for the
/usr/lib/python2.4/AccessGrid and /etc/AccessGrid dirs (although the later
symlink may not be required now).

>> 3. Which version of mDNS have others tested against. I am getting
>> errors coming from the pyBonjour module which I didn't see before
>> when testing the CVS version a short while ago.
>
> I used the tarball from the Apple Bonjour pages.  You have to register
> with them to get access to it.

The stock mDNSResponder source from Apple wasn't suitable, it modifies
system files, doesn't use the soname argument for creating shared libraries,
doesn't consider /usr/lib64 on x86_64 and 'make install' can't install to a
temp location as required by rpmbuild. So I used both the Gentoo ebuild
patch and the SUSE 10 RPM patch for mDNSResponder and updated it for the
latest version of mDNSResponder (which included not starting up mdnsd with
make install).

My version of the patch can be found in the SRPM on:
   http://www.vislab.uq.edu.au/accessgrid3/fedora/4/SRPMS/

The Gentoo ebuild patch of mDNSResponder did everything I needed, unlike the
SUSE version. I didn't find out about the Gentoo patch until after I started
adapting the SUSE version for the latest mDNSResponder-107.5.

Cheers,
Doug