hsotname stuff

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 26 13:38:24 CST 2004

The hands-off mechanism for local hostname determination is now in place,
on windows anyway.

If a GLOBUS_HOSTNAME is set, its value is left in place without checking
(bug 888).

This  brings up another issue: it appears that throughout,
SystemConfig.Gethostname is used; that uses socket.getfqdn() which does not
benefit from the accurate hostname determination. We should either use the
globus gethostname, or we should make systmeconfig use the globus gethostname.

Another related issue is this:

         s = ThreadingGSISOAPServer(addr, config = self.config)

that is, the creation of the servers passing in the current hostname. I
suspect that if the constructor is working properly, we will find that such
a server would only listen on one interface of a multihomed computer.

--bob