Venues Design, Venue Apps

Thomas Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Mar 28 21:43:01 CST 2003

I've taken Bob's application services document, made some changes to the
interface, and  recast it in the format used in our other design
documents.  This part will be included in the main venues design
document, but I wanted to send it separately to simplify review.

Bob:  Mostly, I made the following changes:

    * the data channel is not a web service; therefore, applications do
      not register with the data channel for particular event types
    * an application object is created with a single data channel,
      instead of relying on the application to create the data
      channel(s) it needs; at this point, I only see the need for one
      data channel; the AppObject.CreateDataChannel method has been removed
    * the application object does not assign a public_token to
      components; instead, the public_id in the ClientProfile will be used
    * we only have one application type, so there is no application
      service/factory to create them

I need to make the existing implementation conform to this spec very
soon, so let me know if you have any comments.

Thanks,

Tom