Venues Design, Venue Apps

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 31 10:26:35 CST 2003

At 09:43 PM 3/28/2003 -0600, Thomas Uram wrote:

>I've taken Bob's application services document, made some changes to the
>interface, and  recast it in the format used in our other design
>documents.  This part will be included in the main venues design document,
>but I wanted to send it separately to simplify review.
>
>Bob:  Mostly, I made the following changes:
>    * the data channel is not a web service; therefore, applications do
> not register with the data channel for particular event types

Whether they register for event types is orthogonal to whether the data
channel is a web service. An app registers for event types because it is
interested in receiving those (and only those) events

>    * an application object is created with a single data channel, instead
> of relying on the application to create the data channel(s) it needs; at
> this point, I only see the need for one data channel; the
This is meant to be a general solution. What if I don't want a data
channel? What if I want two data channels in order to make my application
logic clearer?

>    * AppObject.CreateDataChannel method has been removed
>    * the application object does not assign a public_token to components;
> instead, the public_id in the ClientProfile will be used
The venue client's public id? what if I create an app that stands alone and
isn't part of a client? What if I create two instances of an app associated
with one client?

>    * we only have one application type, so there is no application
> service/factory to create them
I don't follow; how does an application get created if there's not a
factory to create them?

What if I wnat to derive a custom application class that has server-side
code in it, and create an application server, all using this same
framework? The app factory is a general mechanism..