"new" requirement

Rick Stevens stevens at mcs.anl.gov
Sat Aug 23 17:05:34 CDT 2003

I might be able to help here.  What I would like to see ideally is a
folder orriented drag and drop interface to the venue.  I note that I
don't consider the venue server necessarily directly implementing this
functionality but that it would be transparent to a venue user.  A model
would be something like iDisk access.  one should be able to double click
to launch apps from the venue interface in the venue client (ideally the
venue resources would become transparently available to the deskop (as
folder)  on the machne running the venue client while docked in the venue
so explicit copying would not be needed unless one wants to have access to
the item after undocking..  For large things we will want a "third party"
type interface to grid data stores.. similar to what Dennis was talking
about at the middleware review.

a simple use of this is putting some data and a data viewer to be used on
the data in a meeting in the venue for others to gain access too.

this is the basic functionality needed for the venue to beging to support
"shared projects"

another use case is I'd like to put all the presentations for a course in
a venue along with applications and data for a class.  I would like to get
all of this built ahead of time and then publish the venue for the class
to use.  In fact if we can get this working this fall I'll use my systems
biology class as a test case.

I can easily see associating a few TBs of data to support an active venue.
This is a model that makese sense for the CMC project for example.

another variation is how we link to databases and database applications
in a venue.  I can see having databases (SQL, Oracle, DB2) available via
the venue with various applications that can access them.  The idea being
that one would not have to re-authenticate to gain access to the databases
that have been "associated" with the venue.  not sure exactly how to do
this.. but this is what we want to support many of the bioinformatics
projects that we are working on or have in the pipeline.

--Rick