[petsc-users] Unique number in each element of a DMPlex mesh

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 13:03:40 CST 2024

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 1:57 PM Berend van Wachem <berend.vanwachem at ovgu.de>
wrote:

> Dear Matt,
>
> Thanks for your quick response.
> I have a DMPlex with a polyhedral mesh, and have defined a number of
> vectors with data at the cell center. I have generated data
> for a number of timesteps, and I write the data for each point to a file
> together with the (x,y,z) co-ordinate of the cell center.
>
> When I want to do a restart from the DMPlex, I recreate the DMplex with
> the polyhedral mesh, redistribute it, and for each cell
> center find the corresponding (x,y,z) co-ordinate and insert the data that
> corresponds to it. This is quite expensive, as it
> means I need to compare doubles very often.
>
> But reading your response, this may not be a bad way of doing it?

It always seems to be a game of "what do you want to assume?". I tend to
assume that I wrote the DM and Vec in the same order, so when I load them
they match. This is how Firedrake I/O works, so that you can load up on a
different number of processes (https://arxiv.org/abs/2401.05868).

So, are you writing a Vec, and then redistributing and writing another Vec?
In the scheme above, you would have to write both DMs. Are you trying to
avoid this?