[petsc-users] Error using Metis with PETSc installed with MUMPS

Pierre Jolivet pierre at joliv.et
Fri Nov 3 13:33:50 CDT 2023

> On 3 Nov 2023, at 7:28 PM, Victoria Rolandi <victoria.rolandi93 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Pierre,
>
> Sure, I have now installed PETSc with MUMPS and  PT-SCHOTCH, I got some errors at the beginning but then it worked adding --COPTFLAGS="-D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199309L" to the configuration.
> Also, I have compilation errors when I try to use newer versions, so I kept the 3.17.0 for the moment.

You should ask for assistance to get the latest version.
(Par)METIS snapshots may have not changed, but the MUMPS one did, with performance improvements.

> Now the parallel ordering works with PT-SCOTCH, however, is it normal that I do not see any difference in the performance compared to sequential ordering ?

Impossible to tell without you providing actual figures (number of nnz, number of processes, timings with sequential ordering, etc.), but 699k is not that big of a problem, so that is not extremely surprising.

> Also, could the error using Metis/Parmetis be due to the fact that my main code (to which I linked PETSc) uses a different ParMetis than the one separately installed by PETSC during the configuration?

Yes.

> Hence should I configure PETSc linking ParMetis to the same library used by my main code?

Yes.

Thanks,
Pierre