[petsc-users] pc_gamg_threshol

Mark Adams mfadams at lbl.gov
Sat Jan 7 21:48:14 CST 2017

Thresholding is a heuristic and a crude algorithm (just chop weak edges
with the simplest measure of "weak"). I don't know of any abstract analysis
of it.

The original smoothed aggregation papers by Vanek, Mandel, Brezina were
fairly by fairly mathy folks.

Ray Tuminaro and Luke Olsen have done some nice work to develop a more
robust coarsening strategies that do some non-trivial analysis of the
matrix to try to identify genuinely strong connections. Crude methods are
not bad for M matrices but can get fooled by higher order discretizations.

--
*The secret to doing good research is always be a little underemployed. You
waste years by not being able to waste hours* -- Amos Tversky