[petsc-users] Diagonalization of a 3D dense matrix

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 12:15:01 CDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Ketan Maheshwari <
ketancmaheshwari at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello PETSC-ers,
>
> I am a research faculty at Univ of Pittsburgh trying to use PETSC/SLEPC to
> obtain the diagonalization of a large matrix using Lanczos or Davidson
> method.
>
> The matrix is a 3 dimensional dense matrix with a total of 216000 elements.
>
> After looking into some of the examples in PETSC as well SLEPC
> implementations
> it seems like most of the implementations are with 2 dimensional matrices.

You will have to explain what you mean by a "3D matrix". A matrix, by
definition, has only
rows and columns. You may mean a matrix generated from a 3D problem. That
should pose
no extra difficulty. You may mean a 3-index tensor, in which case
diagonalization is not a clear
concept.