[petsc-users] 3.5 -> 3.6 Change in MatOrdering Behavior

Hong hzhang at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 21 11:51:38 CST 2016

Paul:
It might be caused by our changes in default shift strategy.
We previously used '-pc_factor_shift_type NONZERO' for ilu, then changed to
'-pc_factor_shift_type NONE'.
For your test, I get
./ex10 -f0 test.mat -rhs 0 -pc_type asm -pc_asm_overlap 12 -sub_pc_type ilu
-sub_pc_factor_mat_ordering_type 1wd -sub_pc_factor_levels 4
-ksp_converged_reason -sub_pc_factor_shift_type NONZERO

Linear solve converged due to CONVERGED_RTOL iterations 2
Number of iterations =   2
Residual norm 0.0116896

with
'-sub_pc_factor_shift_type INBLOCKS':

Linear solve converged due to CONVERGED_RTOL iterations 2
Number of iterations =   2
Residual norm 0.00603736

I guess your previous run might use one of these options.

Hong

Thanks Hong,