[petsc-users] petsc externalpackage directory

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Feb 2 22:51:51 CST 2016

On Tue, 2 Feb 2016, Jed Brown wrote:

> Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:
>
> > Well my recommendation was for this use case of "same install on a different machine"
>
> If you're installing to the same location on equivalently-configured
> machines,

I presumed the copy is to a different machine - perhaps with different file system/organization.

> you can just copy $prefix (optionally by using DESTDIR to
> install to a temporary directory that you tar up).  If you need to
> rebuild, then the old build artifacts are flawed.
>
> > And currently we do kinda support inplace repeated install of the same
> > package
>
> And it breaks _constantly_.  It must be like 30% of petsc-maint traffic
> in the past year; advice being "delete PETSC_ARCH and reconfigure".

All of these breakages are usually due to 2 different cases.
- [as mentioned before] - due to 'git pull' changing dependencies
- [without git pull or equivalent] conflict between switching from say
 --download-mpich to --download-openmpi - in install location
 [PETSC_ARCH/include] and not sources in PETSC_ARCH/externalpackages

I agree starting from tarballs is the recommended way - but this copy
[of petsc+externalpackages together] will also work.

Satish