[petsc-users] petsc externalpackage directory

Jed Brown jed at jedbrown.org
Tue Feb 2 22:38:40 CST 2016

Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> writes:

> Well my recommendation was for this use case of "same install on a different machine"

If you're installing to the same location on equivalently-configured
machines, you can just copy $prefix (optionally by using DESTDIR to
install to a temporary directory that you tar up).  If you need to
rebuild, then the old build artifacts are flawed.

> And currently we do kinda support inplace repeated install of the same
> package

And it breaks _constantly_.  It must be like 30% of petsc-maint traffic
in the past year; advice being "delete PETSC_ARCH and reconfigure".

> I sure would like a common cache [for any build/arch/version] for both
> tarballs and git repos - so network traffic can be cut down. [say in
> ~/.local/petsc/cache].

We need checksums for this.  (We should always have checksums anyway.)