[petsc-users] Petsc performance

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 09:09:52 CDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 9:01 AM, Marzouki Sondos <sondes.marzouki at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I still  hesitate whether to use Petsc library or not. And to take my
> decision I have some questions. Please can you help me?
>
> Let s suppose that I have two matrixes having the same dimension, A0 and
> A1 but A0 is sparser than A1. Which means that A0 have less number of non
> zeroes.
>
> My question is: Is Petsc less efficient( time) for dense matrix??

You will have to be more specific. For example, in a sparse direct method,
the pattern of fill
could be different for matrices with different sparsity pattern, and thus
from your description it
is impossible to predict performance. Likewise, with an iterative method,
the spectra could be
very different, and thus it is again impossible to predict performance.

It is fairly simple, using KSP ex10, to quickly experiment with solvers on
you given matrices,
and thus determine whether PETSc solvers will work for you.