[petsc-users] tons of valgrind errors with simply PetscInitialize and PetscFinalize?

David Liu daveliu at mit.edu
Wed Jan 22 17:37:40 CST 2014

Hi, I'm running a very simple code, consisting of just PetscFinalize and
PetscInitialize and nothing else.

I'm running it with valgrind using the command
"valgrind ./run"

I also tried (as the petsc homepage suggests)
${PETSC_DIR}/bin/petscmpiexec -valgrind -n 1 ./run -malloc off

For both cases, I get tons of error messages like
"Conditional jump or move depends on uninitialised value(s)"
"Use of uninitialised value of size 8"
"Invalid read of size 8"
"Address 0xc15a998 is 40 bytes inside a block of size 47 alloc'd"

with a final valgrind summary that includes things like
==29401==    definitely lost: 5,956 bytes in 55 blocks
==29401==    indirectly lost: 3,722 bytes in 22 blocks
==29401== ERROR SUMMARY: 619 errors from 8 contexts (suppressed: 4 from 4)

Is this normal or is there something wrong with my petsc/valgrind
installation? For the record, valgrind was already there when I compiled
petsc.