[petsc-users] Unable to configure PETSc with CUDA: Problem with thrust directory

Dominic Meiser dmeiser at txcorp.com
Fri Aug 29 09:35:57 CDT 2014

On 08/29/2014 08:08 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM, Christophe Ortiz
> <christophe.ortiz at ciemat.es <mailto:christophe.ortiz at ciemat.es>> wrote:
>
>     Sorry about that.
>
>     Please find in attachment the configure.log file. Hope it will
>     help you find the error.
>

> Here is the problem:
>
> Possible ERROR while running preprocessor: nvcc warning : The
> 'compute_10' and 'sm_10' architectures are deprecated, and may be
> removed in a future release.
> error message = {nvcc warning : The 'compute_10' and 'sm_10'
> architectures are deprecated, and may be removed in a future release.
> }
>
> meaning the nvcc compiler does not "work" as provided. Here is a
> workaround:
>
>      --with-cudac='nvcc --arch=sm_35'
>
> Dominic, I think that thrust.py should depend on cuda.py. Do you know
> why it does not?
In principle you are right, thrust.py should depend on cuda.py.

However, in my opinion, thrust.py should go away as a separate package
altogether. Thrust is shipped as part of any recent version of the cuda
toolkit (I forget since which version, Paul might know) and it's always
installed in $CUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT/include/thrust. Thus we can
automatically deduct the thrust location from the cuda location. Thrust
should be considered part of cuda.

Cheers,
Dominic

--