[petsc-users] make all freezes

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Sep 17 23:26:28 CDT 2013

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013, Analabha Roy wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2013 9:39 PM, "Satish Balay" <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> >
> > This doesn't make any sense..
> >
> > If the build is hanging - we'd like to know exactly where its hanging.
> > [perhaps copy/paste]
> >

> It didn't dump any output, either to stdout or Stderr. There was nothing to
> copy/paste.

so you type in 'make all' and then see nothing on the screen?

all: chk_makej
        @${OMAKE}  PETSC_ARCH=${PETSC_ARCH}  PETSC_DIR=${PETSC_DIR} chk_petscdir chk_upgrade | tee ${PETSC_ARCH}/conf/make.log
<<<<<<

The only thing I can think off is chk_upgrade perhaps misconfigured
network is affecting it. [if the behavior is reproduceable - perhaps
we can narrow it down by invoking these commands one at a time].

> > If the run is hanging - we'd like to see the stack trace [via gdb] of the
> > location of the hang.
> >
> > xorg-devel should'nt make a difference [from what we know]..
> >

> Doesn't it need xorg headers for rendering graphic output via petscdraw?
>
> Maybe it was one of the dependencies of xorg devel that did the trick.

If x11 includes/libs are not found - then petsc is configured without X11.

> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2769707/configure.log>(dropbox)

The configure.log above confirms that it did not detect X11. [so none
of the X11 stuff was enabled].

Even if X11 was enabled - 'make test' does not run any X11 related tests.

If some make target caused hang for both 'make all' and 'make test' -
then running the examples manually might confirm this. [and then
invoking the steps in 'make test' one at a time might narrow down to
the location of the hang].

Satish