[petsc-users] Error message Exit Code 9

Jed Brown jedbrown at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 9 19:25:00 CDT 2013

Garnet Vaz <garnet.vaz at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Jed,
>
> Yes. It has been running fine for problems up to 3M triangles.
> /var/log/messages does say that the process is killed.
>
> Changed the oom options to allow over-commiting. I think it
> should work now.

Hmm, normally when over-commit is turned off, malloc will return NULL,
but when turned on (default on most systems), _some_ process will be
killed when you run out of memory.  The process receiving SIGKILL is
somehow evaluated to be a memory offender by the operating system, but
may not be the process "responsible".