[petsc-users] Optimized run crashes on one machine but not another

Garnet Vaz garnet.vaz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 01:45:53 CDT 2013

Hi Matt,

I figured out what was causing the problems. I never had
an optimized build built on my laptop before. So I did not
run the reconfigure script but had to build from scratch.

I recently changed my build script to keep only what was
required for this project. By mistake, the --download-chaco
was taken out. Hence, the code was running on all debug
builds + optimized build on the desktop and crashed on
my laptop.

Once I rebuilt 3.4.2 it crashed for all builds since chaco
was not available on any of them now. The IS of
the partition returned here was corrupt.
plex.c line 2503
    if (1) {
#if defined(PETSC_HAVE_CHACO)
      ierr = DMPlexPartition_Chaco(dm, numVertices, start, adjacency,
partSection, partition);CHKERRQ(ierr);
#endif
    } else {
#if defined(PETSC_HAVE_PARMETIS)
      ierr = DMPlexPartition_ParMetis(dm, numVertices, start, adjacency,
partSection, partition);CHKERRQ(ierr);
#endif
    }
I do have parmetis installed but I do not know why it did not
work.

Since you were able to run the code it helped a lot. The
code runs on all builds/machines now without any problems
once chaco was downloaded.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Regards,
Garnet